So by now a lot of people would have seen the buzz about the new Foreo UFO. Here's the thing - it hasn't actually been launched. Instead, a Kickstarter project has been launched, seemingly to raise funds for the production of this new product.
Foreo claims that this this is a 360 degree smart mask treatment, "Featuring Hyper-Infusion Technology (heating + cooling + T-sonic pulsations & LED light therapy" which provides "professional-level treatment in the comfort of your own home".
Clearly LED light therapy isn't some new invention, blue and red light treatment devices has been on the market for a number of years now. I actually own the Neutrogena one, which is probably the least expensive one out there at the moment. I actually saw someone make a comment about this on one of Foreo's social media posts, and a Foreo rep replied saying that this product is revolutionary because it is a hybrid encompassing heating + cooling + T-sonic pulsations WITH LED light therapy.
When I first read up about it I thought it was an awesome product - you apparently move it and massage your face for 90 seconds after attaching a mask to the surface which comes into contact with your complexion. Then you're good to go! No more sitting around with a goopy mask and waiting for it to absorb. Now here's the catch and the part that I'm not too fond of...
The Foreo UFO is controlled by an app that you download on your phone. You can use it without this app, but then only 30% of its functions will be accessible. I'm not a tech idiot, but it already sounds like an extra complicated step that I'm not quite sure I want to bother with. Also, Foreo has been ignoring all questions on social media on whether you absolutely have to use Foreo's own masks wth it (which it sells separately, unless you preorder a package deal through their Kickstarter project now). It seems like other masks that you already have are incompatible, although we'll have to wait for Foreo to actually address this to be sure (or for the Youtube reviews to be posted after this product is officially launched).
I'm not sure how I feel about having to buy their masks repeatedly for me to be able to use the Foreo UFO. The UFO itself is not cheap, the normal one retails at $299 USD (going for $159 USD right now for preorders) and the mini UFO which has lesser functions is $199 USD (now $89 USD). The masks will be sold at $9.99 USD for 7 pieces.
Now, I'm all for paying a premium for good products that work - I own the Foreo Luna Mini 2 cleanser device that Foreo is known for and I absolutely love it. This baby cost me nearly $143 AUD (I got it on sale, it's usually $219 AUD) and I believe it was $143 well spent. I will definitely repurchase if anything happens out of its warranty period; I already freak out when I can't find it or leave it at someone else's place. I stopped using it for a couple of weeks in 2016 and I actually started getting so many whiteheads again. I credit it with transforming my complexion and drastically minimising congestion on my skin, but one key reason why I love it (more than the Clarisonic Mia 2 that I previously owned) is that it is a one-off purchase. I don't have to purchase new brush heads and all I have to do is disinfect the silicone surface every now and then.
In all, I have to admit that I am a tad disappointed and wary about how they have introduced this proposed product to consumers.
Here are my main questions:
- Why is Foreo, an established and successful brand with their bestselling Luna cleansing devices introducing this new product through a Kickstarter project? Why can't they just launch it?
- Why is Foreo not answering any questions on social media about whether it is compatible with other sheet masks? It is a very valid question!
Also, Foreo, if the UFO is actually compatible with other sheet masks can you please clarify this on an official platform? Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment