Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Trust is a beautiful thing

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool."
- Stephen King

So I'm back in Melbourne, and back to blogging. School just started this week and I've got a ton of stuff to do for the first 2 weeks. The club's audit file is due next Tuesday, I've got a Welcome Night event to plan and help out at, and another National Day event after that to volunteer at. Looking forward to a less busy and less stressful week 3!

Am taking pretty intense units this semester. I'm not sure if I'm being a little ambitious, but this shall be the semester where I work the hardest and discipline myself accordingly. I will try my best to complete all or most of the optional assignments, and try my best to turn up for every class. I also have to start learning driving (come on Chengz, you're almost 20 and you haven't even started learning?! Geez).

I had a pretty good holiday back in Singapore and in Hokkaido. Might be posting throwback photos in subsequent posts if I run out of stuff to blog about.

So recently I've been thinking about trust. Back in June when I was studying for exams, I ran into these 2 girls who were sitting at the same table as me, discussing about one of the girls' relationship. It was a pretty intense conversation, about how she and her boyfriend were going to try their hardest to stay together, even though they didn't know where they would end up in the near future, both being international students. It's something I could kind of relate to. She was totally gushing over her boyfriend and said: "You know (his name) makes me really happy right? Can you tell?". I was actually initially really annoyed because they were pretty noisy and disrupting my studies, but hey, who doesn't like a happy love story? It made me feel pretty warm inside. They went on to talk about marriage, and it sounded like a pretty stable long-term relationship where they had everything planned out already. I was happy for that girl, until she made the following comment:

"But oh well. We'll see. We've only been together for 2 weeks."

This was my face -> =.=''' LITERALLY. The whole thing was just laughable, and I thought of her as quite foolish for talking about marriage and getting so serious when they'd only been together for 2 weeks. Condescending thoughts were running through my head, such as: "this girl has only been with this dude for 2 weeks and she thinks he's the one who's gonna marry her", "omg this girl is dumb", "cray cray".

And then it suddenly hit me, that maybe that's how we all should be. Maybe we should all go into new relationships, or things, or take risks with our hearts filled with hope and sincerity. Maybe we should all trust each other and have the courage to place our utmost trust in someone and follow our hearts. Maybe completely trusting someone is actually the most courageous and beautiful thing to do. Maybe we would happier that way. Perhaps trust is one of the more beautiful things in this world. And to trust someone, the bravest act.

I, for one, have never been able to place 100% of my trust in anyone, throughout my whole life. Sometimes I think that one day, I'll meet someone, a friend or a potential partner, whom I can trust completely and be entirely open with. Then other days I feel like that's pretty unrealistic. Now, I think maybe I shouldn't just sit here waiting. Maybe I should start trusting people more.

After all, trust is a beautiful thing.

Maybe the bravest people are those who still trust in the world and others, even when life makes them experience so many ordeals which discourage them from doing so.

And maybe it's these bravest people who will one day get to experience the truest form of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment