I decided to start this series of posts to serve as a mini online journal of my food-hunting "expeditions". I'm a serious foodie, though admittedly not that an amazing cook/baker (although I try really hard). I'm clearly not a food critic, and I don't do awesome food photography (most if not all of the photos you see are snapped with my terrible Samsung S4 phone camera). Furthermore, everyone has different tastes in food so please don't blame me if you disagree with my opinions. Peace!
DISCLAIMER: I don't usually dine with huge groups of friends so I usually only get to sample 2 or 3 dishes at every eatery I dine at. Therefore, my reviews are based on these dishes I try, as well as the service I receive.
So without further ado, here are the 3 cafes/restaurants I will be touching on today:
1. Cafe Lua
2. Breizoz French Creperie
3. Cafe Andiamo
1. Cafe Lua
Highlights: Fuss free dining & MILKSHAKE
Corner Rathdowne & Elgin Street, Carlton
See their menu here!
Highlights: Fuss free dining & MILKSHAKE
Corner Rathdowne & Elgin Street, Carlton
See their menu here!
I've actually been frequenting Cafe Lua since 2011, when I first came to Melbourne. I lived in Carlton for about half a year, so it made perfect sense to pay this quaint little cafe a visit. The first dish that I had there was the Smashed Avocado dish, which they still have. It was simple and yummyc concoction of smashed avocado with cherry tomatoes, feta and basil. I was a cafe newbie back then, and this simple yet pleasant dish really delighted my taste buds.
Unlike many other popular brunch places which have fancy plating and an ambitious combination of complex flavours, Cafe Lua is all about no-frills dining, and that's something I really love about this place. They also make a mean milkshake which I have consistently loved for the past few years, so much so that I once declared it the best milkshake in Melbourne. It's my all time go-to place when I want some fuss-free brunch choices. About 2 years ago, I had this Asian Smoked Salmon Omelette which I absolutely LOVED. (Please bring it back!)
My friends would know that I used to have a love affair with pork belly, and just had to try out that pork belly dish on every cafe menu I picked up. Lua's Vietnamese Porkbelly sandwich didn't blow my mind, but it was a decent choice nonetheless.
The streets of Carlton are never too busy, so sitting outdoors along Elgin street is always a relaxing experience.
Below: Grilled Halloumi on sourdough with cashew-pesto, field mushroom & romesco sauce
Beautifully grilled haloumi!
2.Breizoz French Creperie
Highlight: Great decor, amazing crepes
2/49 Brunswick St, Fitzroy
See their menu!
Can I just start off by saying that I LOVE THIS PLACE. It is my all time favourite creperie place, and I am insanely in love with a few of their specials. Their menu does not include their specials (which are to die for). Here are 2 dishes I hope they never scrap and will continue to serve, FOREVER.
First up, the Moroccan Chicken special.
I love everything about this dish. The chickpeas, the salad side, the cripsy crepes, the gorgeous and moist chicken, EVERYTHING. The only thing I love more than this at Breizoz, is their....
Rhubarb and coconut ice cream crepe:
Just look at that gorgeous little meringue perched on luscious coconut ice cream (I describe it as such because savouring the ice cream is like melting into a perfect and sensual kiss). The rhubarb isn't too sour, and still provides a perfect dose of tartness to the whole dessert. This dish, ladies and gentlemen, is to die for. You have to try it to understand.
I'm also pretty sure that Breizoz makes their own ice cream, so mad props for concocting that beautiful coconut flavour!
Apart from these 2 dishes, I've also dried their Duck Confit Crepes, which were delicious, but admittedly very pricey at $27.
I also like the rustic decor of the restaurant. My favourite spot inside is the table next to the fireplace (which is not in use, not even sure if it's real), and it seats 2. I just can't wait for my next visit to Breizoz~
3. Cafe Andiamo
Highlight: Iced Chocolate
36-38 Degraves Street, Melbourne CBD
Take a look at their menu!
There's nothing exceptionally remarkable about the food here, although I have to say that Cafe Andiamo whips up one of the best iced chocolates I've ever tasted. There's a generous amount of chocolate sauce (that's how I would describe that gooey goodness all over the sides of that cool ass hipster Mason jar), and a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream dumped in. The result is an amazing, sweet and comforting cup of iced chocolate. I personally find it really fun trying to scrape all that chocolate down the sides and off the bottom of the jar, but you might find it a bit annoying if you were in a rush, or impatient to savour the chocolate goodness.
May I suggest that you head down to Cafe Andiamo one of these afternoons with your girlfriends or buddies, order some garlic bread (they do the normal one, and another garlic bread served with mozzarella melted over it), grab an iced chocolate or iced mocha (also pretty good) and chill out. Sit at a table outside to bask in the lively atmosphere of Degraves St! Now that the Melbourne CBD's outdoor smoking ban has expanded, this area is family friendly, and the air is relatively fresh.
Below: Garlic Bread
Below: Fettuccine with pork fennel sausages
(So I just noticed that their pasta dishes have a trend, they seem to be mostly topped with chives)
So yup, that's all for this entry of my Foodie Diaries! TTFN.
Coming soon:Dare1
Om Nom Dessert Bar
Cafe Carpenter
Top Paddock










No comments:
Post a Comment