Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cafe Lua; Gaijin Japanese Fusion

Back in my first year in Melbourne, I spent half a year living in Carlton. One of the things I miss most about my time there was the delicious milkshakes I used to buy at Cafe Lua. I've been back twice for the past 2 years and the milkshake never fails to cheer me up and put me in great sweet spirits for the rest of the day. The best thing is that if you eat in, it's such a generous serving which for me, doubles the happiness.

One thing though, if you're like me and you can't really take super sweet stuff, opt for their Vanilla Milkshake because the other flavours can get a tad too sweet. The biggest reason why their milkshakes are my favourite is that they're never too thick, yet not too light either, if you get what I mean.


There's more inside that vintage tin!

So on Saturday morning, I brought Serene & Becks to Cafe Lua, one of my favourite brunch places in Melbourne. Admittedly, the food isn't exactly top notch flavours and presentation. It's a small cafe with decent food and a pleasant setting. Their coffee isn't anything special, but I still really do like the place. I like that it's not so mainstream yet (wahaha) and you don't have to wait and queue for an excruciating period of time to get a table. The longest I've ever waited was 10 minutes. Service is pretty good too, and they have really interesting and good asian flavours incorporated into their menu.

The last time I was here, I had this Asian smoked salmon omelette dish which exceeded my expectations when it came to taste. I didn't see it on the menu this time, and I decided to go for my favourite pork belly instead. So I ordered the Vietnamese Pork Belly Sandwich.


Vietnamese Pork Belly Sandwich 


So they give you a serviette along with the sandwiches to hold it while eating. It was a relatively yummy dish, albeit being a little messy with the dressing and all dripping out.


Went for dinnner at Gaijin Japanese Fusion Restaurant that night. I've been to this place twice, and I really feel like this place is rather underrated. They have some really interesting dishes on their menu, and while not all of them are that mindblowing (the sushi rolls aren't all that great), I just want to keep coming back because I really do like their desserts and quirky food.


Crab stick with cream cheese and mayo and teriyaki sauce

I can't remember what the above dish is called. It was quite yummy, but I think there was an overdose of cream cheese. A little lesser dosage of the cream cheese would have been perfect.


Below: Dynamite Udon

I was pretty stoked to try this dish because it's like an udon version of the dynamite rolls. Basically, the dynamite rolls consist of crab meat, mayo, etc. I actually thought this was pretty nice, and I would come back for it again. It wasn't too rich and the seaweed inside really balanced everything out. Yumz!





Sesame Panna Cotta

The first time I came here, I tried Gaijin's Green Tea Creme Brulee. I thought it was pretty good, except that the caramelized layer on top seemed like an additional flat piece of caramel candy placed on top at the end. 

This time, I ordered the Sesame Panna Cotta and it was just absolutely amazing. I think I detected some coconut cream in the panna cotta, but it was so smooth and soft and it just melted in my mouth. The toasted coconut on top gave a great contrast in texture. The drizzle around it tasted a little like alcohol, which didn't appeal to me, so I did my best to avoid scooping it up, but I'm sure most people would be okay with it and even like it. I will be ordering this dish every single time I come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment