Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Is suicide an option?

My day started with Lynette telling me a shocking piece of news. There's this person from our batch of students in De La Salle School who committed suicide recently. He jumped off a building and died on the spot. I'd already heard a bit about this suicide case in the neighbourhood but I didn't expect it to be someone who I'd have an impression of. I feel sorry for his loved ones. I didn't know him personally, but hearing about his demise didn't make me feel good at all.

When someone departs the world of living, it's always the surviving ones who are left to grieve. Therefore, I think it's reasonable to conclude the committing suicide is a selfish act. But what if you're really living as if your life is hell? It's not wrong to want to end suffering. Everyone wants to be relieved of their pain and break free from all troubles. Sure, you might argue that there are other alternatives, but when someone has been driven to the point of extreme, you can't blame them for doing the unthinkable. I'm not trying to prove that suicide is correct, because it's NOT, but people should try to understand instead of criticising. My point is, everyone has their own reasons to every action they mete out. We shouldn't judge a person when we lack understanding of their whole situation. We shouldn't even be jumping to conclusions about what problems so and so had, blah blah blah. The only person who can understand you best is yourself.

Despite all that I've said, I would never commit suicide. Everyone has a different viewpoint of life and to me, it's all about trial and error. If this doesn't work, try something else! But of course, we all have limited opportunities so we should try to minimise mistakes. Through experience (at least for me), I've realised that sometimes when you're feeling very dejected, it's not always 100% pure sadness. It's usually 60% sorrow + 40% of drama, like I'm trying to convince myself that I'm the saddest person on the planet and I'm gonna break the world record for being the saddest soul in history. Probably even 10% sorrow + 90% drama! It's like telling yourself: "Geez, I'm gonna be sad, wasted and finished at the grand old age of 15." How pathetic is that?! We should all try to look on the bright side. I dislike people who are moody all the time, so called "emo". Sure, shit happens, but you don't have to become perpetually depressed just because you didn't get that A you wanted or you weren't elected chairman. Come on!

If you think about it, life has actually always been really good. You just weren't concentrating on the right stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment