Monday, September 26, 2011

What breaks my heart

It breaks my heart when:

I see that little girl with down's syndrome peddling household goods at the MRT station. She should be in school, but no, she's out making a living. It enrages me when her 2 women appear occasionally to check on her (I assume that one of them is her mum), speaking to her in English and asking if she wants to drink kopi O at the nearby foodcourt. These 2 women seem reasonably educated and speak in fluent English. In today's society, everyone would agree that every child, regardless of any disabilities or impairments, should receive an education because it has proven to be beneficial. Most parents with such children do send their children to special schools if required, but there are just some who don't. I know it's difficult for them, but it really pains me to learn about these real life situations.

I actually really wanna do something for this girl, like call in those child welfare officers or something. But she's not always at the same spot and it's difficult to get the officers there on time to see it for themselves. Moreover, I'm currently studying abroad.

It also breaks my heart when I'm served by the elderly, whether they help to clear my used plates, etc at foodcourts and hawker centres. Especially when they can't even walk properly on their own, or straighten their backs. I feel like I'm disrespecting them by letting them wait on me, when their hairs have all turned white. But there's nothing much I can do, except thank them profusely. I really hope this situation will improve, that the government can improve on the welfare of the elderly so that they can have a happy retirement, instead of having to work hard till their last breaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment