I did something really unexpected and out of character today: Touring on my own. I'd usually just have to have friends when going out for such trips because I'm horrible with directions and have never had the confidence to travel in unfamiliar areas by myself. Now, I can finally announce that I've overcome that insecurity. From now onwards, as long as I want something, I will go for it, even if it means I'll be on my own.
After learning about the Melbourne Open House event from Soroor, I decided to make use of the opportunity to visit all those fantastic buildings that I've never visited before. I visited the website and browsed through the 69 buildings which was open to the public for viewing. Then, I proceeded to compile a list of almost 20 places I was interested in visiting, along with their addresses. The planning was rather tedious because I insisted on jotting down the places in order of how I was going to go about with my tour, according to proximity. I've always seen Dad plan our overseas trips like that and even after so much consideration, things always tend to go wrong sometimes. And my tour was no exception. I wasted so much time and energy trying to look for the correct places and tram stops. I got lost so many times and kept wandering around in circles. Anyway, the following is the plan I drafted:
Apparently, it was a bit too ambitious of me to choose so many places (almost 20); I ended up only going to 5 and half. The half is for the Parliament House, I'd already been queuing for a good 15 minutes when the volunteers kindly informed me that it'd take another 45 minutes to reach my turn. Therefore, I withdrew from the queue, took photos of the exterior and headed to my next destination.
This was my first stop - The Victorian Trades Hall! I finally got there after walking around in circles.
I overheard a woman commenting on the irony of the above disclaimer because that's probably the only thing people do in this area.
Beautiful, isn't it?
And so, this is the Parliament House that I visited briefly!
Before going back to EHH, I headed down to Foodworks where I bought another bottle of apple juice, some Uncle Toby bars, Cadbury Chocolate Mousse bars and BBQ pork buns. Then, I bought a packet of curry chicken rice for dinner.
Life is full of problems and obstacles. I'm not the happiest person in the world, nor am I the smartest or the most popular girl ever. However, everything will turn out fine as long as I have the courage to pursue my dreams, even if it means doing things on my own for the next 5 months.
I can't wait to go home, for good. I really envy Lee, being able to leave everything behind and fly home, not needing to come back ever again. Still, it was my choice to study in Melbourne and I will not regret it.

No comments:
Post a Comment