Saturday, December 13, 2008

Parents selling children, Sick and elderly parents sent to Old Folks' Home

My mum once said: "No matter how poor a parent is, he or she will never sell their children. Besides, they will be heavily criticised if they do so."

I think that's really unfair lah. I mean, to get criticised for selling children.

If a family is really really poor, and parents cannot afford to bring up the child well, care for him and give him good education, I think it's okay for them to sell their children to a good family yearning for a child. The good family would give the child love, good care and a good education. Isn't that better than making the child starve with the poor family? The child deserves a better life! In this case, parents are selling the child not just for the money they earn, but for the child to live a better life somewhere else.

I have a point right?

I remember Feng Yu once declaring to his grandparents that he would never send them to an Old Folks' Home and would instead take care of them personally, moving them to tears. If Feng Yu's meaning is that children who send their sick and elderly parents to the Old Folks' Homes are all unfilial, I disagree with him. Okay maybe SOME are, but not all!

In my opinion, it's not wrong to send your sick and elderly parents to the Old Folks' Homes if you really do not have any time to care for them at home. It's better to leave them at a place which at least takes care of their needs instead of leaving them at home alone with no one to watch over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment